The project is co-financed by the Governments of Czechia, Hungary, Poland and Slovakia through Visegrad Grants from International Visegrad Fund. The mission of the fund is to advance ideas for sustainable regional cooperation in Central Europe.
Degrading mountain pasture (grassland) ecosystems contribute to climate change in Central-Eastern Europe. Through a strategy of Multi-Stakeholder Partnership and Mountain Alliance of Pastoralists, the coordinated action of capacity building, networking and cross-border cooperation to conserve mountain pastures and protect shepherds’ biocultural heritage will halt the climate impacts in V4 region.
Project number: 22320327
Project duration: 2023.10.01 – 2024.06.30.
Participating countries: Slovakia, Poland, Hungary
Project coordinator: Dr. Hasrat Arjjumend
Total budget: 36.690 €
- Regional Development: Enhance the socio-economic prospects of rural communities in the V4 mountain areas.
- Environment: Offer fresh approaches to fight against climate change by conserving and restoring mountain pastures and grasslands.
- Tourism: Foster eco-friendly tourism models that respect and preserve the biocultural heritage of the region.
What We Do
Degraded mountain pastures are a contributing factor to climate change in Central-Eastern Europe. Our strategy is to engage in multi-stakeholder partnerships, specifically the Mountain Alliance of Pastoralists, to build capacity and foster cross-border cooperation. We aim to:
- Conserve Mountain Pastures: Through a coordinated approach involving various stakeholders.
- Protect Biocultural Heritage: Safeguard the traditions and practices of local shepherding communities.
- Halt Climate Impacts: Implement best practices in pasture management to mitigate the negative impacts on the climate.
Why It Matters
Mountain ecosystems are fragile, yet crucial for biodiversity, water resources, and cultural heritage. The coordinated efforts in this project aim to create a sustainable future for these areas, while simultaneously tackling climate change—a global concern that knows no borders.
We invite you to explore our website further to learn more about our actions, partnerships, and how you can get involved. Together, we can make a significant impact on the environmental and cultural fabric of the V4 countries.